Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Iwakuni, Japan

Yesterday the ship was still at anchor. I was informed that since I joined
the boat late, my paperwork was not submitted in time for clearance on the
Marine Corps Base. This base in Iwakuni is where the ship would be docked.
This means I would be restricted to the ship once docked.

While anchored we have launches that will take us to shore, by-passing the
base. Yesterday we had only one launch in the evening. I was grateful to
Travis who agreed to take 2 hours of my watch so I could go ashore. This
was easy for him, since he was already working. All he had to do was hold
my radio.

I took the 6 pm launch with about ½ the crew, 10 men. Some headed to the
base, others started out quickly to the bars. I went first with one group
to a bar, which was the only place I knew I could exchange my Dollars for
Yen.

I really did not feel like drinking all night, so after a couple beers I
struck out on my own in hopes of finding some soup. I was in search of Miso
(forgive my spelling; I have no idea how to spell Japanese words). There
are many bars and restaurants here that are Japanese only, no foreigners
allowed. This made it difficult to find soup. Also, most all the
businesses seem to put weird squiggly lines all over their signs…

After walking for about an hour, ducking my head into several establishments
and either finding I was not welcome or no soup is served I chanced upon a
place that had English writing out side that said, "Americans Welcome". Of
course I went in.

I was the only customer, and service was excellent, but no soup. So I
ordered fried Goyza and a beer. The music was 50's surfer instrumentals.
The food was good and I used plenty of hot mustard which comes in a plastic
screw top squeeze tube.

After eating I tried to find some of the crew. I peeked into a window of a
bar, saw it was empty and started down the street, but before I made it two
steps out comes a good looking Pilipino gal. "Why you look in then go
away?!" "Come in have a drink, we won't hurt you!" So of course I went in.
Once again, I find I am the only customer, the drinks were reasonably priced
and I found my self being entertained by a couple girls. (Caveat Emptor-
Honey, they wanted me (mostly my cash), but I said, NO!!! My sweetheart
would not approve! And they understood) Anyway, after tiring of their
conversation and terrible karaoke I left, promising if I find any of my
crew, that I would tell them they should come to their bar.

After a few blocks I peeked into another bar, again run by Pilipino girls
and there was the entire shore party. We all drank fairly heavy and the
manager or owner of the bar was a Japanese woman that went by the name Sky,
who insisted I match her shot for shot of tequila. Well, this was not my
plan, but the bosun was paying so I took up the challenge. I am not sure,
but I think I won.

Once I was sufficiently drunk, but not stupid drunk I needed to use the
toilet. This took a while since I have not used this type of squatting
toilet before. Luckily my aim was good, but I realized a little late that I
probably should have been facing the opposite way since the toilet paper
roll was directly behind me. Very hard to maintain a squatting position and
reach for something behind you after several beers and tequila shots.

As it turned out we all made it back to the launch boat just in time. I had
to help the bosun a little. He kept trying to put his backpack on backwards
and upside down. But we all made it back to the ship with no problems.
Three hours later I had to be up for watch, 5 hours later we lifted anchor
and docked the ship at the Marine Base.

Tomorrow we will load the cargo here, and then sail out to the next Japanese
port. That will have happened most likely by the time this is posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment