Saturday, March 21, 2009

The Advantage

The launch sped away from the dock behind the ally, and raced over the black
water of the bay towards the ship. After a few minutes the lights of the
anchored ship came into view. We came around the stern and up the starboard
side of the Advantage to the accommodation ladder. A figure came into view
and lowered the ladder, winches screeching and metal creaking until the
ladder was lowered about a foot above the deck of the launch. That is when I
realized the ladder was being run by OS Jason.

Jason signed on to the ship the same day I originally did, back on August
7th 2008. He has been onboard over 7 months now and looking at 8. Jason came
down the ladder, greeted me and hauled my suitcase up for me. It was a very
steep climb so with his help all I had to carry was my back pack and
computer. Clearly the ship was empty and awaiting cargo.

I was greeted warmly by most of the crew right away and I was very happy to
see Andy Jones my Bosun from my old OS days aboard the Wilson. Even the crew
I did not know seemed to be happy I was there. I guess I have an okay
reputation with in the company. But more likely everyone was just happy to
have replacement AB's on the ship. It turns out one of the AB's was sent
home ill having contracted what most likely was a sexual disease from one or
more partners while in Thailand. Another AB was fired when he apparently
threatened the remaining AB with violence. The ship had been working with
only one Able Seaman for some time now.

The current crew should have been home in March, but the company had managed
to delay the required shipyard date more than once. Each time the crew had
informed family and friends they were headed home, the company found another
backload to keep them on board. A few other crew members had left, finding
reasons to be discharged which may or may not be honest.

I was delighted to learn I was to get my old room back, which is the largest
and Andy insured I would get the 4 to 8 shift. I have never worked that
shift but it is the most desired aboard any ship for AB's. This allows me to
work overtime immediately after my morning shift and get a little rest
before the next shift. I get to eat my breakfast and dinner on the clock and
sleeping is much easier. Many call it the money shift because it is so much
easier to work the OT with out losing lots of sleep. Hurray Bosun Andy!!!!

After a couple hours visiting I was able to settle in to my cabin and get a
little rest. By now I have been awake and traveling for over 26 hours. My
first shift was to begin in less than 4 hours. So I tried to get a little
sleep, I awoke for my first shift which was just anchor watch, a very easy
duty and then after breakfast began my first day of OT.


By 8 O'clock pm on Saturday I was finally able to get about 7 hours of well
needed sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment