Thursday, July 16, 2009

Ice bergs, bergi bits and growlers

Thursday 07-16-2009 08:30 ship time (+ 3 zulu)

Today around 06:00 I got to see my first real life Ice Berg. It was
impressive but rather far away. We saw several more by the end of my watch.
I was given a brief lesson on terminology. The large ones are Ice Bergs.
Smaller ones about the size of Volkswagens are called Bergi Bits, and the
ones that slip under the surface now and then are called Growlers (I guess
they make a sound as they bob up and down).

We have another day of sailing before we cross into the Arctic Circle. By
Sunday we should be docked in Thule.

Last night we received word that after this load is complete we will head
back to Norfolk, VA and wait at a lay birth for two weeks (probably the
exact same dock as before) then we will load somewhere on the east coast and
head to the Middle East. No exact destination has been given, but most
think it will be Kuwait. I am really getting tired of sailing through the
Suez Canal and the pirate waters of the Gulf of Aden but I guess the luck
just keeps coming; another trip is one its way.

It is getting colder now, but still above freezing and we expect it will
stay that way.

I hope everyone is doing well.

Keep in touch and let me know how you are doing.

Jesse

PS The ONLY way to communicate to me is by email:
crew06@ter.aplmaritime.com

I have no interconnecting tubes to the internets technologies.

OH, I almost forgot.... I will be vague in the future about the trip to the
Middle East. For detailed info you will need to email me direct and me to
you... Don't need no pirates reading the ole blog and getting ideas ya
know... :)

Eat at Joe's - Because the food here really sucks most of the time :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment