Saturday, August 22, 2009

Rota, Spain

We arrived at the pilot station at 08:00. We were hoping to be docked by
08:00 but that was not in the cards. Eventually we were at the dock with
the gangway down by 10:00. I was one of the lucky few who would have a
chance to go ashore here in Rota.

Before leaving the ship I made arrangements with Melody (a fellow AB) to
meet at the Castillo De La Luna at noon. I ran down the gangway and once on
the dock decided I wanted to get some business done while on the base. I
struck out towards the Navy Federal Credit Union. At least I thought I was
headed that way.

There is a lot of road in the Navy base at Rota. Turns out I was walking
the wrong direction, so I had to turn around and back track. I managed to
walk about 3 miles the wrong way. After I backtracked 3 miles I had to walk
another 4 miles to get to the NFCU. So 10 miles later on a fairly hot day I
arrived at the credit union and opened an account. I have been told NFCU is
perhaps the best CU around especially when it comes to any type of loan.
They are also quite solvent. Since WAMU went tits up, and Chase seems to
suck so far I wanted a different option and being a Merchant Marine I
qualify for an account there.

Anyway turns out I could have called a cab...AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Okay, I was running a little behind schedule, but I did not get breakfast so
I had to eat something ASAP and change some money into Euros. I grabbed a
slice of pizza on the base; it was good, but so disappointing to not be
eating Spanish food. I just didn't have the time. I found a Spanish bank
on the base and turned $125.00 American Dollars into 80 Euros in a flash.
Talk about a week dollar...

I grabbed a cab and after some attempts at communication the driver took me
to Castillo de la Luna. I arrived around 12:30 and was happy to see Melody
had not given up. She was having a beer under an umbrella in the shade of
the castle. We each had a couple beers and I just relaxed there for awhile,
enjoying the view as people walked by on the cobblestone pathways between a
very old church and the castle.

The castle was smaller than I expected and we were not allowed to go in the
upper levels. Everything available to read was in Spanish so I learned
nothing about the place, but Melody took pictures of all the writing on the
walls and promised to have it all translated for me later. Her dad is
Mexican so it should not be a problem. The church next door had a very cool
steeple and bell tower. It appeared to be the tallest structure in town.

All the streets in the old town were very narrow, exactly like you've seen
in the movies.
People were often on their balconies cooling off in the light breeze.
Melody and I tried to find some stores for souvenirs, but I only came away
with 2 refrigerator magnates. With no luck shopping we hit up a local
establishment for drinks outside. After about 4 drinks I had to return to
the ship. I had a great time though and would like to return.

No comments:

Post a Comment